Sunday, November 6, 2016

Epilogue

     When I started this project I thought AIDS was a simple disease with a simple cause. “Have sex with multiple partners with no protection? Congratulations, you now have an incurable disease that will most likely cause a horrible death.” But, I now know it is way more complex than that. Here’s what I have learned about AIDS over the last ten weeks.
     AIDS is more than just a couple bumps here and there in your genital regions. AIDS can affect so many more parts of the body than just the places where multiple persons’ genitals have come in contact with multiple other people’s genitals. And AIDS isn’t spread only by having unprotected sex. Babies can be born with it as a result of the actions of their parents. However unfair that is, it’s a fact of life that needs to be dealt with. The more I dug into this complex disease, the more I wanted doctors to find a cure for it.
     One part of the body that AIDS affects is the neurological system. I know I have already written about it, but that truly blew my mind how heavy an impact AIDS has on the brain. This fact scares me quite a bit. If the brain dies, a person would be left with nothing. Just one more reason to find a cure for this horrible disease.
     A friend of mine was trying to help me figure out what to write about how to cure this disease and we started talking about being more proactive. People already know about the disease. It is not as if we are ignoring its existence, but we are choosing to turn a blind eye towards the damage AIDS is doing to our population.  How many people have died as a direct result of AIDS? Approximately 35 million people. That is a terrifying statistic. People need to be actively fighting against AIDS, and it needs to start in the teens. If we can help end teen AIDS, there will be increasingly less adults in the future giving birth to babies who have the disease. I do not know what the cure is, but if we can at least prevent  the younger population from getting the disease, maybe we can fight it in the adults.
CLICK HERE for more information.

No comments:

Post a Comment